He died when thrown from a golf cart this week last year. My heart feels heavy.
Accidents happen. Not one child has ever been recorded to die from cannabis.
If you have such proof - please share.
What do they die from or become permanently injured from - something fun- a trampoline.
Did you know 1.8 million are sold world wide every year.
Do you know how many children visit the emergency rooms every year because of them? I do. IF YOU have the stomach for it- Google 'trampoline injury images'.
I saw one image- that made me instantly turn away from the computer. You have been warned. How about deaths from trampolines? They happen:
Trampoline Injury Facts
- According to the American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS), 246,875 medically treated trampoline injuries occur annually in the U.S. Of this total, 186,405 of these injuries occurred among children aged 14 or younger.
- According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) hospital emergency room-treated trampoline injuries almost tripled in the last decade - from an estimated 37,500 in 1991 to almost 100,000 in 1999.
- The commission has received reports of 11 deaths relating to trampoline use from 1990 to 1999. Those victims ranged in age from 3 to 43. Six were between the ages of 12 and 19.
- Falls off the trampoline often resulted in crippling injury and/or death including paralysis from spinal cord injury. Somersaults and coming into contact with other persons on the trampoline's surface likewise resulted in many serious and crippling injuries as well as death.
- Nearly two-thirds of trampoline injury victims were children 6 to 14 years of age.
- About 15% of trampoline injuries involved young children under 6 years old.
- In 1999, injuries to the leg/foot were reported most frequently, accounting for 40% of the total. Injuries to the arm/hand accounted for 29% of the total, head/face/neck accounted for 20%, and shoulder/trunk were associated 10% of the total.
- Approximately 4% of all trampoline emergency-room treated injuries result in hospitalization.
- Most trips to the emergency room are the result of jumpers colliding with one another, falling on the trampoline springs or frame, falling or jumping off the trampoline, or attempting somersaults and stunts.
- *taken from: http://www.fscip.org/tramp.html
What is the point of all this you might task. Facts.
IF our government was truly worried about our children they would have tougher laws on trampolines - not cannabis.
Unfortunately, I see & hear trampolines- daily- it often ends in tears - in the surrounding backyards. I don't know what to do, commonly - I see a trampoline with 7 kids on it at a time including a toddler and then water sprinkler added to the mix- it is an accident or worse waiting to happen.. do you say anything if you see this? No, if I did I'd be a nasty meddling neighbour. It blows my mind that parents go along with this... perhaps some do not know, many trampoline accidents happen at other children's homes.
Very often I witness kids on them with NO adult supervision. It makes me shake my head... but that's because I have researched. I am sure a parent does not intentionally want to hurt their kids - you can just as easily if you don't research EVERYthing.
Do not be a sheep or puppet and fall for reefer madness- know the facts.
Educate your child on ALL things- ESPECIALLY the dangers of trampolines this summer- 'harmless fun'.